Whenever we celebrate World AIDS Day I often wonder how many of us who are not directly impacted pause and note the key messages we hope to convey – such as:
- Global equity in HIV prevention and treatment
- The need for effective HIV vaccines
- Continued research to discover new and safe anti-HIV drugs – to be ahead of a mutating virus
- The importance to understand the long-term health consequences of HIV drugs
- To appreciate the impact of HIV in the elderly and other vulnerable groups – long-term impact of people living with HIV
- The importance of education, and the acknowledgment that we need a combined approach to successfully fight HIV. We cannot only focus on behavioral changes, nor can we solely rely on biomedical interventions.
- To purposefully engage scientists, doctors, pharmaceutical industries, government and community organizations/NGOs, and social influencers.
Why is it necessary that we continue to work so hard to defeat HIV?
THESE ARE SOME OF THE SAME ISSUES WE FACE TO SUCCESSFULLY FIGHT COVID-19.
Now that we have a better understanding of the work and commitment required to fight a virus, please come on board so that one day we can eliminate HIV.